DUE TO COVID-19, WE ARE TEMPORARILY CLOSED.
Danbury Preschool - Miss Mia's Early Bird Preschool
Formerly known as King Street Early Learning Center. New name, same great program you've heard so much about!
As Early Childhood educators we love our work! Nurturing, encouraging and respecting our students comes easy! We believe that a large part of kindergarten readiness involves helping children adapt to the school environment. We do this by:
- modeling positive attitudes
- helping children learn to resolve conflicts
- helping each child gain independence
- teaching that the only failure is in not trying
Because education of the whole child is at the core of our basic tenets, we feel strongly about manners, curiosity and integrity. As play based learning has been shown to help children retain what they’ve learned more readily than rote memorization, our students are always encouraged to play and to explore the world around them.
- enjoy outdoor play - where they’re never discouraged from getting dirty!
- are learning about polite behavior that is considerate of others.
- learn about using self reflection to diagnose possible causes of a disagreement.
- learn empathy, while also learning to advocate for themselves.
- gain confidence through many positive interactions, and through successful experiences in their new community.
Why play based learning?
Learning through play helps a child to make sense of themselves and their part in the world around them. It feeds their natural curiosity and their need for connection. And it also helps prepare them for future learning.
Handling manipulatives such as blocks or Play-Doh helps a child gain dexterity and it strengthens the muscles and tendons they’ll need for writing and other tasks. Watching our students run toward the classroom at the beginning of each day says it all!
Children are gently encouraged to do their best and to be considerate of others while learning and exploring their surroundings.
Children attending Miss Mia's Early Bird Preschool learn about:
- Pre-writing skills
- Time for free play and exploration
- Music and dancing
- Listening and "reading" stories
- Indoor play
- Outdoor play