Every kid should have something they enjoy doing outside of school. National Hobby Month is a great way to help your child explore hobbies he may not be aware of!
Adults aren’t the only ones who benefit from having a hobby.Hobbies are an enjoyable way to gain new skills and learn something new about yourself and the world around you.Children who excel at something grow to perform well at other tasks because of the confidence they gain from their hobbies.
When your child enjoys one or more hobbies she will:
- Develop strong social and emotional skills
- Grow academically
- Learn to be more patient
- Gain a sense of accomplishment which leads to confidence in other areas
- Develop willpower, concentration, determination and dedication
- Learn how to set – and meet – goals
- Feel more confident when asked to try new things
- Develop good reading habits by actively participating in a hobby; not sitting passively and being entertained (e.g. reading vs watching tv)
Kids who excel at something tend to define themselves by what they’re good at. For example, think back to your school days.
Maybe you had someone in your class who always had his head in an engine fixing up old cars, or maybe your friend always knew the best fishing holes.